1. Start by preheating your oven to 230°C (450°F)
2. Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a small well in it.
3. Add cold shortening (reserve a tiny bit to grease your baking pan) and cold buttermilk
4. Mix and squeeze between your fingers for couple of seconds to form a rough dough. Don't use your mixer for this dough. The biscuits would be overworked, crumbly and dense.
5. When the ingredients have just combined transfer the dough to a floured surface.
6. Fold in half for couple of times (2-3 folds)
7. Press down to about 1.5 to 2 cm (1/2 to 3/4 inch) with your palm.
8. Cut your biscuits with a cutter and place them into a greased baking pan so that they are just touching each other.
9. Reshape the scraps by simply pressing them together and cut additional biscuits.
(We used a cutter with 7.5 cm (3 inch) diameter and got 6 biscuits out of this dough)
10. Bake in a preheated oven on 230°C (450°F) for about 15 minutes.
Have a bite!
Self rising flour
If you live somewhere where self rising flour is not an regular item in the baking aisle of a grocery store no need to worry! Self rising flour is a combination of regular (all-purpose) flour, baking powder, and salt. To make your own self rising flour use the following ratios:
150 g (1 cup) of all-purpose flour
20-25 g (1 and 1/2 tsp) baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Just like the self rising flour, buttermilk is not always and everywhere available item but it is also very easily replaceable. Buttermilk is the leftover liquid that is a side product of butter production, Buttermilk ferments into a thick, tangy cream. Sometimes it is sold under the name "sour milk".
If you don't have buttermilk in your fridge you can simply take
1 cup of milk and
1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice.
Mix it well and leave for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. After that you can use the mixture instead of butter milk.
Another option is to use the mix of
3/4 cup of yogurt
1/4 cup of water
as your buttermilk supplement.
Jesi radio i s maslacem umjesto mašću, znači treba ih ful kratko mjesiti
Nisam probao s maslacem, jedino s masti i biljnom masti (Crisco). Ako ćeš probati s maslacem javi kako je uspjelo!
Leave a Reply.
Marijo & Hans