Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 chicken leg
1 chicken thigh
1 chicken breast
For the marinade:
1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
3-4 tbsp yogurt
For the curry:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small peace of cinnamon
2 pods of green cardamom
2 medium sized onions
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato pure
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Debone the chicken and cut into approximately 3-4 cm (1.5 in) large pieces
2. Finely chop the garlic and half of the ginger
3. Mix the chicken with the spices, garlic chopped ginger and add the yogurt
4. Mix it well, cover it and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (or up to 2 hours)
5. While the chicken is marinating finely dice the onions
6. Cut the remaining ginger into matchsticks
7. Dice the tomatoes
8. In a hot pan add two table spoons of vegetable oil
9. Add the cardamom pods and the cinnamon. Fry for couple of seconds.
10. Saute the onions over medium heat for couple of minutes.
11. Once the onions have become translucent add the ginger chopped into matchsticks.
12. Saute the onion and ginger until lightly golden brown.
13. Add the tomatoes and tomato pure to the pan and saute for another couple of minutes.
14. Once the mixture is well combined add the marinated chicken. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes on a medium high heat.
15. Add the coconut milk to the mix, bring it to a boil and simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes.
16. At the end add the spinach and half a tsp of garam masala. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
17. Serve with plain white rice
Have a bite! :-)
Add some freshly chopped coriander (cilantro) at the end. (Unfortunately I didn't have any at home, and since we are still on a sort of a lock down due to Corona I din't want to go to the supermarket just for this one item) :-)
Marijo & Hans